Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Not your ordinary bookstore

I tried to publish this post on Friday, but ran into some technical difficulties (most likely operator error). I have now recovered from the loss and composed a new entry, probably not as witty and urbane as the original, but it will have to do.

***********

I have just returned from the most wonderful bookstore. In fact, it is one of the reasons I came to San Francisco in the first place. It’s well worth the trip, even if you have to travel all the way across the country, as I did. Besides, you get to meet Ripley the fearsome watch beast perched atop the computer monitor. Gargoyle or cat? You decide.

I found Borderlands Books about a year and a half ago during a quest for a Christmas present (for myself and for a friend). Having read Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan, I wasn’t willing to wait another six months or so for the US edition to be published when the UK edition was already available. Some web searching provided me with two excellent stateside resources.

The first was Uncle Hugo’s in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Uncle Edgar’s is right next door, so whether you fancy mysteries or science fiction and fantasy, they’ve got you covered. I haven’t actually visited the physical location, but a friend of mine has, and she recommends the experience. If Minneapolis isn’t in your neighborhood, check them out on the web at www.unclehugo.com.

The second was Borderlands Books. I took advantage of the toll free number listed on the web site and spoke with a delightful bookseller who shared my penchant for Mr. Morgan and understood my impatience with the publishing industry.

I am happy to report that both volumes arrived in excellent condition in a timely manner.

When my mother offered my the opportunity to visit San Francisco while she attended a conference, I immediately agreed because it meant that I could actually set foot in Borderlands Books. The shop wasn’t quite what I expected, but it was exactly as I hoped it would be. For anyone reading this post with furrowed brow, I was thinking that the place would be physically bigger, but any deficiency in size is more than compensated for in selection, organization, comfort and knowledgeable staff.

Being a specialized independent bookstore means that Borderlands carries a lot of small press, special interest and special edition titles that large chains can’t or won’t be bothered to offer. Selling used as well as new books means that there is a good chance they will have an out of print title you have been desperate to find. On the web at www.borderlands-books.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home