Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Catch a Wave

Not too long ago, I read a review of Dora Lives: The Authorized Story of Miki Dora by C.R. Stecyk and Drew Kampion. I am a big fan of the ocean, and surfing is one of those things I always thought it would be cool to know how to do, but it requires pesky things like balance and coordination (not to mention the love of the adrenaline rush), so it's pretty low on my list of life goals. Hermit that I am, I am also not a big fan of prying into the lives of others because I wouldn't appreciate someone prying into mine. I would not make a good celebrity (not that I am in imminent danger of becoming one).

On the other hand, I find people fascinating, and if they are willing and/or want to put their lives on public display, I am often interested to hear what they have to say for themselves. I love reading, for example, what authors have to say about writing and reading, about their influences, motivations and stumbling blocks, and how writing affects and reflects the rest of their lives. It's also fun to live vicariously through other people, reading about their outrageous experiences so vastly different from my own.

Dora Lives may not be at the top of my reading list, but some day, when I have run out of things I simply *must* read (HA!), I just might pick it up and catch a wave.

Click here to read the review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home