Monday, January 16, 2006

Dangerous Places

It doesn't come as any great surprise that I simply shouldn't be allowed in bookstores, not even online bookstores.

One of the books that has been on my Books I Ought to Get around to Reading list for some time is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Now, it is quite possible that I already possess a copy, but it occurred to me this morning to do a quick search at Powell's to see if a used copy were available and if so for how much.

Logging on, I was almost immediately distracted by an offering of New Favorites priced at 30% off. I behaved myself and made no purchases, but I have added no fewer than five books to my wish list.

The fiction New Favorites list suggested Gentlemen & Players by Joanne Harris and The World to Come by Dara Horn while the nonfiction list has me all excited about The Judgment of Paris by Ross King. Then I remembered an interesting reference to Kafka which ended up bringing The Diaries of Kafka and Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami to my attention.

Gentlemen & Players is a suspenseful thriller set at an exclusive, traditional boarding school. I once attended a similar such school, so my interest is piqued.

The World to Come is a mystery involving the theft of a Chagall painting.

I am perhaps most excited about The Judgment of Paris, the story of the Impressionist "revolution."

I prefer to read journals, letters and diaries rather than traditional biographies, so if I want to learn more about Kafka, I thought that a volume of his diaries would be the way to go.

I have yet to read a book by Haruki Murakami, so perhaps it is time that I do.

Given my addiction to the printed word, it would be wise to patronize my local library, but if I enjoy a book, I tend not to want to return it. I also have a habit of annotating my books, a habit on which librarians tend to frown. And so I continue to save my pennies and add to my library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home